Wednesday, March 5, 2008

New Zealand Odds and Ends

I've realized that I never mentioned which tour company I went with in New Zealand and I've been asked a few times. Susan and I decided to go with Haka Tours because a) it went all over the place and did a bunch of stuff we wanted to do, in a small group and b) it was relatively cheap. In general we were happy with them - we did have issues with Steve, our tour leader on getting places on time sometimes and the previously mentioned drunken day that pissed a bunch of us off mightily. There were some issues where we were not informed of itinerary changes before we actually got there, and breakfast was pretty paltry. Aside from that, it was a good group of people, we did some amazing things, and we saw a huge amount of the country.

I have found a page in my journal where I jotted down quick notes along the way. In no logical sort of order:

-On some of the mountain roads (that aren't dirt or gravel) there are technically two lanes but each lane is too narrow for a full-sized car (or van) so it's really 1 1/2 lanes. I don't know what would happen if there was oncoming traffic.
-All the hostels have little swap libraries where you can leave a book and take a book. Very handy.
-I need moisturizing cream a lot less and am shedding less. Something in NZ is good for the skin!
-Crocs flip flips are wonderful shoes for any terrain, as well as shower stalls
-There are bumblebees everywhere on the South Island
-Toilets have two flush buttons, one for a little flush and one for a big flush
-I'm completely addicted to peanut butter and nutella toast for breakfast
-They don't have gingerale (that I've seen) but ginger beer is popular in bottles
-Sprite is called lemonade (either that's a kiwi thing or it's a British thing I picked up from our group)
-There are a ton of one-lane bridges on the main highways
-There's road construction everywhere!

No comments: